Mankind always dreamed of overcoming gravitation and
reaching other planets. But it was only in the 1960ies that
this dream was to become reality.
On the 12th of April 1961 the spaceship "Vostok" was
launched into space with a man on board and after orbiting
our planet successfully returned to the Earth. The first man
to overcome gravitation and orbit the Earth was Yuri Gagarin.
This day went down in history of mankind as an outstanding
achievement, opening the space era. In the course of space
exploration there have been lots of achievements of world
science and technology. This period saw the launching of
many earth satellites, numerous space laboratories. Among
the achievements we may enumerate the landing of automatic
stations on the Moon, the flights of space laboratories towards
the Venus and Mars.
These are the years of manned space flight programmes:
Valentina Tereshkova was the first woman-cosmonaut to make
a space flight, A. A. Leonov achieved the first "space walk" in
1965, the first Soviet experimental station with four
cosmonauts on board went into orbit, the first American
expedition landed on the Moon.
The Soviet "Lunokhod", automatic orbital stations "Soyuz"
and other space laboratories opened up a new period of space
exploration. From the first experiments scientists went over
to systematic exploration of space.
Recently there have been calls to reduce expenditure on
space research programmes. I think it would be a serious
mistake to allow this to happen.
There is a direct link between the development of space research programmes and different earth technologies. The higher the former are the more developed the latter are.
1. What did mankind always dream about?
2. When did this dream become reality?
3. When was the spaceship "Vostok" launched?
4. Was Yuri Gagarin the first man to overcome gravitation
and orbit the Earth?
5. As what day did the 12th of April go down to history?
6. What lias there been in the course of space exploration?
7. What did this period see?
8. Enumerate the stages of manned space flight programmes.
9. What opened up a new period of space exploration?
10. What calls have there been recently?
11. Would it be a serious mistake to allow to reduce
expenditure on space exploration?
12. What kind of link is there between the development of
space research programmes and different earth technologies?