Joseph Mallord William Turner
William Turner, a great romantic English landscape painter,
was born in Devonshire in 1775. He lived with his uncle in
Middlesex, where he began to attend school. His first drawings
are dated 1787, when he was only twelve years of age. His
childish sketch-books, filled with drawings, are still preserved
in the British Museum.
When he was 21, he began to exhibit oil paintings as well
as water-colours at the Royal Academy. The first, "Fishermen
at Sea" is now in the Gate Gallery.
He traveled much in France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy.
But he never lost his interest in his own country.
As a landscape painter Turner was interested mainly in
light and colour effects. One of his famous paintings is even
called "Light and Colour". His work is high praised by great
Turner died in London in 1851. His pictures and drawings
became the property of the British nation.
William Turner is considered to be one of the world greatest
1. Where and when was Joseph Turner born?
2. Where did he go to school?
3. At what age did he make his first drawings?
4. When did he begin to exhibit his paintings?
5. Did he stay in his country all his life?
6. What was he interested in as landscape painter?
7. When and where did he die?
8. Who is the owner of Turner's works?
landscape — ландшафт
drawing(s) — рисунок
childish — детский
painting(s) — картина
famous — знаменитый
praised — восхваленный, оцененный
property — собственность
to be considered — считаться